The Council assesses the qualifications, skills and key competencies of overseas qualified physiotherapists for registration and migration purposes.
In July 2017, the Council partnered with Western Sydney University to embark on a world-leading, research trial to determine whether Simulation is as reliable as our final, single-event comprehensive practical assessments currently conducted with patients in hospitals and clinics around Australia.
- The growth in demand of physiotherapists in Australia;
- The demand for timely assessments was ever-growing and becoming more challenging to create supply to meet demand each passing month; and
- The limitations of using real patients to reliably and fairly measure the breadth of physiotherapy practice and competency of candidates.
Our commitment was to….
- Compromise nothing as far as assessment of clinical skill is concerned;
- Offer highly-trained Simulated Patients (i.e. actors) with rich case histories that straddle multifarious health considerations (which is often hard to source with real life patients);
- Provide an assessment environment that is clinically authentic by realistically replicating a patient encounter in multi-environments (including hospital, private practice and rehabilitation settings) that cover the breadth of practice;
- Improve standardisation;
- Allow candidates to showcase the full gamut of clinical skills including physical examination, communication and rapport building, as well as history taking;
- Preserve the excellent standard of patient care in Australia; and
- Entrench Australia’s position as a thought leader in the international health assessment space.
- Create a timelier assessment process;
We are now delighted to share the experiences of those who have been at the coalface of this trial.
welcome to the Council’s Simulation Series…
For more of The Council’s Simulation Series, please click here.