What is Assessment for Skilled Migration Visas?
Assessment for Skilled Migration Visas or Skills Assessment is a document-based assessment of your qualifications and skills to ensure it meets the requirements of certain visa applications here in Australia.
The Australian Physiotherapy Council provides this assessment for physiotherapists interested in migrating to Australia on behalf of the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs (DHA).
Do you need a Skills Assessment?
If your Australian work visa needs you to nominate ‘physiotherapist’ as an occupation, you may require a Skills Assessment. To verify if it does, please check the DHA website.
You must meet the following criteria to apply for a Skills Assessment:
- Meet Ahpra’s English Language Skills Registration Standard for physiotherapists.
- Hold a current and unconditional General Registration with Ahpra.
Meet the qualification requirement for the General Registration with Ahpra by checking any one of these requirements:
- Completed an Australian qualification that is included in Ahpra’s Approved Programs of Study
- Obtained the Council’s Certificate of Substantial Equivalence after successfully completing Equivalence of Qualification
- Obtained the Council’s Final Certificate after successfully completing the Standard Assessment Pathway or the Express FLYR & FLYR Pathway
- Hold a current and unconditional Annual Practising Certificate with the Physiotherapy Board of New Zealand
Types of Skills Assessments
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t currently meet the above criteria to apply for a Skills Assessment, you could:
- Complete an Ahpra Approved Program of Study at an accredited Australian university
The Council does not provide migration advice or information on visa selection.
You can find more information on migration processes and requirements from the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs; an Australian Embassy, Consulate, or High Commission; or a migration agent registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority.
No, the Interim Certificate is not applicable for a Skills Assessment. Please refer to the above criteria to apply for the Skills Assessment.