Permanent Residence Visa / Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa

What is the Permanent Residence Visa / Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa?

The Skills Assessment – Permanent Residence Visa/Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa is a document-based assessment designed to assess your qualifications and work experience. The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) will then use this information to evaluate whether you meet the educational and/or skilled employment requirements for your visa, or to award you points in these areas if your visa includes a Points Test.

Successful candidates will be awarded with a Skills Assessment Certificate to allow them to lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and/or submit their visa application.

Do I Need to Provide Any Work Experience?

You do not need to provide evidence of skilled employment to be eligible for a Skills Assessment in support of a Permanent Residence/Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa.  However, you may wish to claim skilled employment as part of your visa application – this will need to be included in your Skills Assessment.  The amount of skilled employment you need to include will depend on your visa’s requirements regarding this – for example, if you are applying for a points-based visa you would need to include in your Skills Assessment all the work you wish to claim points for in your visa application.  If you’re unsure what the skilled employment requirements for your visa are, please check the relevant page on DHA’s website.

For further information on the documentary requirements for skilled employment, please see the Fact Sheet below.

When Should I Make My Skills Assessment Application?

You should ensure that you meet all the requirements for your intended visa and have completed any specific period of work you wish to claim as skilled employment before submitting your Skills Assessment application.  For example, if you wish to claim 3 years of employment for your visa, you should wait until you have completed 3 full years in relevant roles before lodging your Skills Assessment application.  If you wish to make further claims of skilled employment after a Skills Assessment outcome has been issued, you may need to make another application and could be liable for additional fees.


What Documents Will I Need?

Please download the Skills Assessment – Permanent Residence/Skilled Regional (Provisional) Visa Fact Sheet for a list of documents you’ll need to provide, as well as instructions for supplying these.

Download the Fact Sheet

As part of your application, you’ll need to complete an English Language Skills declaration form (as well as provide the necessary documentation).

Download the English Language Skills declaration form

Types of Skills Assessments

The assessment you apply for will depend on whether you have previously had an Assessment for a Skilled Migration Visa with the Council.

(if you’re unsure, please get in touch and we can check this for you)

How Long Will My Application Take?

Please allow up to 10 weeks to hear from us once your payment and supporting documentation has been received.  Your assessment will be delayed if:

  • Detail in your application (especially regarding your skilled employment) cannot be verified by the supporting documentation
  • You do not provide the required supporting documentation

To be fair to all candidates, applications are processed in the order which documentation is received.  Where further clarification/evidence has been requested, an application will be returned to the end of the queue once this has been received.  To prevent any potential delays to your application, please ensure that this is as complete as possible upon submission.

What Happens When My Application Has Been Processed?

We will issue you with a Skills Certificate.  This is a report that details your education and work history to help DHA evaluate whether you meet the requirements for your visa application – this includes the awarding of points for these areas (if applicable).  You will also be provided with a Skills Assessment Certificate reference number which is used to lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) if necessary for your visa.

Will My Skills Assessment Expire?

There’s no expiry date of the Skills Assessment Certificate. However, DHA may only accept your Skills Assessment Certificate if you make your visa application within a specific time frame from the date of issue. Contact DHA directly if you have any concerns about this.

Complete Skills Assessment

Next steps

Complete online application and make payment of $1650.00AUD

Apply for a Complete Skills Assessment

ADDITIONAL Skills Assessment

Next steps

Complete the online application and make payment of $1450.00AUD

Apply for an Additional Skills Assessment


Useful Links

Share via
Copy link